Missing Knowledge

• Hello people,
    First sorry for using English but unfortunately my German language is not good enough yet and from what I saw all the TU students speak good English so here it goes ......
    So obviously I'm new :verycool:, I'm enrolled in the Computational Intelligence program which is a combination of. Math, logic, and computer science.
    I have been attending some courses in the last few weeks which made me realize how little and shallow my knowledge is.
    Well, I have a Sc.bachelor degree in mathematics so (even though I did not study in English) anything from the logical and mathematical part of the program I can handle, but my real problem is the computer science part ( which is very stupid -I know -:facepalm: since I am now a student at the faculty of computer science).
    The truth is: what I have learnt is not even close to what I really need to know, and obviously I'm very much overwhelmed :wein: because I need the basics and I can't go studying everything at once, I believe I have to know what I need for each course I attend and maybe where I can find it.
    After only a few months in Vienna and only a few weeks in the university I don't know anyone who can help me, I feel completely clueless which is very frustrating.
    So what do you think it's the right way to approach this situation? do you have any ideas that might help me?
    I could really use any help you can give me, and would appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks for reading and sorry if that was long
    LG
    Dana

• well the real question is.. why did you enroll for a computer science master if ...

Zitat

but my real problem is the computer science part

and not for a mathematics master since ...

Zitat

I have a Sc.bachelor degree in mathematics so anything from the logical and mathematical part of the program I can handle

?

• well the real question is.. why did you enroll for a computer science master

Probably she didn't know what prior knowledge she would need and nobody told her.

My questions regarding to this matter are: For instance, graduates of the Bachelor program "Software & Information Engineering" have to take additional courses when they choose to enrol for the "Visual Computing" master in order to compensate for the missing knowledge from "Media Informatics and Visual Computing". Do graduates of Mathematics bachelors not have to take any such additional courses? Why is anyone without prior knowledge in Computer Science allowed to enrol for "Computational Intelligence" without any additional requirements at all?

(Yes, Dana.J, I know that these questions don't help you.)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Paulchen (30. Oktober 2014 um 21:44)

• Computer science is something I love, and I did not choose this program arbitrarily, two thirds of it is math after all.
    The CS courses which I took in my university back home was supposed to be enough but they are not and the thing is even though I was not asked to do any additional courses I was willing to do so, but the language is still a problem for me.
    it's very clear to me that I need to fill the blanks alone, but like I said I should know where to begin.
    so I guess my question is who do you ask for help around here when you're looking for one?

(your questions are legitimate :) , they may not help me but your interest does )

• Ok, let's say program Analysis or more specifically Data Flow Analysis, I started feeling that I'm losing control when we solved an exercise about generating type constrains and it seemed that it was something very obvious for the other students that they did not even had to see the solution but for me that was not the case.
    That made me scared, because it seemed that most lecturers explain more about the mathematical stuff because they assume that the students already know enough about the CS stuff.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!